Friday, May 18, 2007

Memories of Mortar

Atlanta is planning to tear down its Civic Center, just like it tore down Atlanta Stadium, The Omni, the City Auditorium and Ponce de Leon Ballpark. It's the same everywhere. Since I've lived in Columbus we've demolished the Municipal Auditorium and the Three Arts Theater while building the Civic Center and the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts.

These venues represent our past. I graduated from high school in Atlanta's auditorium and saw my first live music there. I was an usher for the first game at Atlanta Stadium, saw the Beatles perform on a stage near second base and watched them blow it up 10 years ago. I went to a press conference on the floor of the Omni while the building was just a shell and watched the Atlanta Flames play their first hockey game there. I cut my teeth on sports at Poncey with the Atlanta Crackers and still get nostalgic when I drive past the site and see that old Magnolia tree that used to stand in centerfield. At Atlanta's Civic Center, I sat on the front row (next to Ted Turner) while Richard Harris performed in "Camelot."

I have memories of the old venues in Columbus too. I spent my first night in Columbus watching Columbus State play basketball at the Municipal Auditorium and I heard everyone from Willie Nelson to Greg Allman to Hank Jr. sing their songs there. I enjoyed the Righteous Brothers and Tony Bennett among others at the Three Arts.

I enjoyed these places when I was young and I made lots of memories in them. But I don't miss them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a native of Columbus it is sort of sad that Columbus has changed so much. I, and my two daughters were both born at the Medical Center, and it looks so different in that area now. Most of my family is buried in Columbus, and my oldest child is attending CSU just as I did....in short, Columbus will always be home, but I wish it still felt like home.

RICHARD HYATT said...

Nothing stays the same, and it should. Look at the Government Center. It's relatively new but it still has no personality and is downright ugly. Then again, being old doesn't make something historic. We just need people who will judge on merit and not the pocketbook.