Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Tuxedo Junction

Time for another Page One Award ceremony, No. 32 I am told. A night that is memorable for the high school seniors who earn the awards and profitable for the shop that rents the Ledger-Enquirer all those tuxedoes.

I am the ringmaster. During the portion of the program where the nominees introduce themselves, I keep things moving. This has been my assignment for about 29 of the 32 ceremonies. I'm the fool standing behind the podium at the corner of the stage while everyone watches the young people at the microphone. Most of the nominees are nervous. They just mumble their name and school then line up at the edge of the stage. But watch for the kids in art. There is usually a wild card here that does something a bit outrageous.

The Page One Awards have a history. Some of the early winners have returned as judges. Some of the winners have passed away. Some of the people on stage have outgrown their tuxedoes. I miss Jack Swift, a former colleague and editor. The two of us enjoyed surprising folks by showing up in unusual shirts or ties. I usually won. Jack's been dead for 17 years but tonight I'll keep alive our game by with a hot-pink tie and cumberbund.

Come to the RiverCenter Wednesday at 7:30 pm. Not for the hot-pink bowtie but because of the 184 talented students that make us proud.

No comments: