Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Mark for Vince

Wrestling's real. It's NASCAR that's fake.

How could I not talk about wrestling this week. The Final Four is this weekend but so is Wrestlemania 23, the biggest night in sports entertainment. The pay-for-view event is Sunday and, for those of you who aren't informed, Vince McMahon is putting his hair on the line against Donald Trump's mane. How could you pass up such an event?

For several years a group of us got together every year for Wrestlemania. We started in Columbus but as some folks scattered we convened in Washington, DC, Nashville and Lexington, Ky. It was a time to eat, to drink and to smell what the Rock was cooking. Mainly it was fun.

Sometimes, when I'm in a social setting, I am quiet about my attraction to wrestling. I hide it, just like I avoid admitting I watch American Idol. Then I see something like this week's ratings of Cable TV. Monday Night Raw, the WWE flagship show, is both No. 1 and No. 6 among the most watched shows on Cable. The 10 pm hour of Raw is No. 1 and the opening hour is No. 6. More than 3 million people tune in for each hour.

So I am not alone. There are others who love a good promo, a creative catch phrase or a good angle between the wrestlers. There are others that like a twist on the old hair match by pitting a couple of billionaires like Mr. McMahon and The Donald. There are others that remember when Rick Flair was young.

So bring on the wrestlers. And you can keep Dale Jr.

1 comment:

RICHARD HYATT said...

By the way, Vince is bald.