Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Race in Columbus

When I was 22 years old, I never figured we'd still be discussing race when I was 62.

Forty years ago, it was consumming. Schools were newly desegregated. We hadn't been riding buses together for that long. We were walking on egg shells. Ours was a separated world.

Our world today is not so separated but discussing race can still be difficult. I found that out as a young sports columnist in Columbus when I wrote about Eddie McAshan, a black quarterback at Georgia Tech who quit the team on the eve of its big game with Georgia. I had known Eddie as a reporter since he was a freshman. I knew about his struggles. I had been in Columbus only a few weeks when I described his situation in my column. The mail I received was vile. And unsigned.

Last Sunday, I wrote a column about black history, asking readers to share memories of race in Columbus. I said that talking about King, Carver and Parks was safe. Talking about things that happened in our neighborhood is not always so comfortable.

Then the mail came.

Some e-mails were constructive, offering insights into the way we live and the way we think. Through the U.S. mail, came other insights, offering another view of how we live and how we think. Just as it was in 1972, the words were vile. And unsigned.

I want to learn more about the story of race in Columbus. I'll be writing a major story on the issue in late March. Write me. If you lived around here then and you have memories, share them. I want to destroy myths and solve mysteries. I can't do it without your help.

2 comments:

Bob Walsh said...

Hi Richard,

Great post! I came across it by accident this morning - it showed up in Google News (the how is posted on my blog, http://clearblogging.com, if you're interested).

You are asking a very tough question that needs to be asked - and that's the essence of journalism whether it is paper or blogging. I'm looking forward to the major article on race - please post about it here so I can catch it.

Ed said...

Hello Richard. I found your blog through our old high school message board.

I remember the days you wrote about. I attended Ga Tech in the first desegregated class - a year too early because we were afraid the public schools would close in Atlanta that year.

I'll be looking forward to you article and future blogs here.

A voice from the past . . . Ed Trainer